Overview: Make the connection between how a boomerang returns when thrown properly with how sincere respect returns when given away.
Material/ Preparation: Boomerang image, video, actual one or RESPECT icon.
1) Show an image of a boomerang, the real thing, a video (see below) or the RESPECT icon and ask if the group knows what it is and how it works.
- Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhWrLzimEw (2:26 min)
- Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZB7LnAUz1A (3:04 min)
2) Share that it takes the right technique to throw a boomerang for it to come back.
3) Make the connection of the boomerang being thrown properly with that of respect being given genuinely. Use the example of smiling at someone. When we smile at someone with a genuine smile, more times than not the smile will boomerang back.
4) Draw the connection between the boomerang following the physical laws of nature and respect following behavior laws of nature; the positive consequences and the negative consequences.
5) Comment that the icon represents the concept of the object lesson. Ask students what the boomerang in the icon image can also represent that relates to RESPECT. If they don’t guess the icon image is also a smile, share that with them.
6) Also share how a forced or not genuine smile will not get the same result, just as a boomerang thrown without the proper technique will not return.
7) Discuss how the object lesson relates to the theme:
Respect returns when given awayTM.